top of page
Family Self Sufficiency (FSS)


FSS is a program that assists Housing Choice Voucher Program families in meeting goals to improve their quality of life by reducing their dependency on public assistance. The Regional Housing Authority (RHA) offers families the opportunity to achieve economic independence through community resources with the help of an FSS coordinator.  In this program, FSS coordinators provide the head of household and/or other adult members with resources on how to obtain an education, job training, counseling or other types of social services. 


If you receive rental assistance through RHA, you may be eligible for career planning, job training, family support services, and even pathways to owning your own home. FSS coordinators provide access to these services through referrals to partner service providers.


In this federally funded, asset building program, participants identify their obstacles and then set the goals needed to overcome them. Families potentially can save thousands of dollars in an FSS deposit account that become available to them upon completion of the program.


For additional information on FSS, please contact Kim Duncan or by phone at 828.485.4299





The Homeownership program gives Section 8 Participants, who qualify to purchase a home, help with their mortgage payments. Participants apply their government assistance to their mortgage for a specified amount of time.

Special Programs

Navigate Services

Steps to Homeownership assistance:

  • Must be a current Section 8 participant

  • Have the ability to acquire a mortgage through a conventional lender

  • Meet other program requirements


For additional information on becoming a homeowner, please contact Elizabeth Moncrief or by phone at 828.485.4244



Family Unification Program (FUP)


FUP is a program under which Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) are provided to:

  • Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in either

    • The imminent placement of the family’s child or children in out-of-home care

    • The delay in the discharge of the child or children to the family from out-of-home care.

  • Youths at least 18 years old and not more than 24 years old who left foster care at age 16 or older and who lack adequate housing.


The Regional Housing Authority (RHA) works in cooperation with Public Child Welfare Agencies (PCWA) to assist families with FUP Vouchers. The PCWA initially determines if the family or youth meets the above requirements, then refers those eligible families to the RHA.


The Family Unification Program is a referral based program; applicants must apply through the Department of Social Services in their county. Eligible applicants are not placed on a waiting list they qualify for immediate assistance.


The RHA has been allocated 22 FUP vouchers through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). With the demand for housing exceeding the number of vouchers we have long waiting periods are not uncommon.


For additional information about FUP, please contact Elizabeth Moncrief or by phone at 828.485.4244

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)


The VASH program combines HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs), community-based outreach clinics (CBOCs), through VA contractors, or other VA designated entities. The RHA has been awarded 15 VASH vouchers. Referrals must be provided through the Department of Veterans affairs.

bottom of page