Career Opportunities

Now Hiring

 

Environmental Health Supervisor

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

The Environmental Health Supervisor is responsible for administering the Environmental Health Program including the supervision, coordination and performance evaluation of staff. This employee is responsible for seeing that the Environmental Health Program meets all standards required by the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the local health director.  This employee gives consultation as needed and acts as backup to the staff.

Performs specialized EH workforce performing regulatory functions such as monitoring, design review, permitting, inspecting, grants and, administrative actions investigations, enforcement actions, public participation in the regulatory process, fee program implementation, inter-governmental agency coordination, training, program planning and evaluation and other related tasks. Assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures governing food service, swimming pools, on-site sewage management, and water quality sampling and testing, conducting home environmental surveys (i.e. lead), emergency preparedness and other environmental issues. Functions as technical expert to staff and others including federal, state, county, municipal and industrial officials, consultants and the public. Provides technical training to other professional staff and the public.

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Considerable knowledge of environmental health laws, rules and regulations. In depth knowledge of office administration and management.

  • Comprehensive knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an Environmental Health Specialist.  Ability to function independently and to plan for and supervise the work of an environmental health staff.  Ability to motivate. 

  • Strong competencies in the areas of oral and written communication, interpersonal skills, teamwork, leadership, and planning/evaluation skills are also desired.

  • Valid NC state driver’s license.

  • Bachelor of Science degree with 30 hours of science and satisfactory completion of the North Carolina Centralized Intern Training (CIT) program with three years’ experience in environmental health working at the environmental health specialist level with one year in administrative management or supervisory capacity. 

  • Registered Environmental Health Specialist with state certification. Fifteen hours of continuing education per year required for recertification to practice as a registered sanitarian.

  • Note: An equivalent combination of education and job specific experience that provided the knowledge, experience and competencies required to successfully perform the job at the level listed may be substituted on a year-over-year basis for a maximum of Two years non-managerial/supervisory experience.

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is $56,309 to $65,000. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.

  • The Western Piedmont Council of Governments will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4%, for a possible total of 8.2%, to either the NC 401k or the NC 457.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee's health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the HSA are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:

    • Life Insurance - $100,000 o Accidental Death & Dismemberment

    • Dental Insurance - Employee and Family

    • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)

    • Long-Term Disability

  • WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:

    • NC 457 Plan

    • NC 401(k) Plan

    • Voluntary additional life insurance

  • WPCOG provides for the following paid leave options:

    • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year

    • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale based on years of service

    • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year

    • Longevity Pay

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Position is open until filled.

 

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Environmental Health Program Specialist - OSWP

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

The Environmental Health Program Specialist - OSWP is responsible for administering one of the key program areas of Environmental Health.  This is advanced professional environmental health work in coordinating the on-site water protection program and in promoting public health through developing and implementing programs of education, surveillance, consultation, inspection and enforcement of State and local environmental health laws and regulations.  The employee provides expertise in the assigned program area and is responsible for seeing that their program meets all standards required by the State.  The employee spends a majority of their time in direct service provision.

  • Observes technique and assures proper procedure is maintained by accompanying staff for on-site water protection activities. Has primary responsibility for training new employees in the on-site water protection program area.  Reviews records as necessary.

  • Evaluates soils of individual lots and proposed subdivisions for suitability to construct ground absorption sewage systems, recommends alternate disposal systems where traditional systems are inappropriate, evaluates systems failures, and consults on program development.

 

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Thorough knowledge of the mapping and classification criteria applied in the characterization of soils.  Thorough knowledge of the physical characteristics of soils and their probable implications regarding waste disposal systems. 

  • Ability to read and understand construction site plans and blueprints. 

  • Ability to propose alternate solutions in problem situations that accomplish sanitation objectives and are reasonable from a construction viewpoint. 

  • Ability to handle with tact, consistency and sound judgement the variety of situations encountered in enforcement. 

  • Ability to train others. 

  • Ability to function independently and to exercise sound judgment.  Good communication and public speaking skills.  Ability to motivate and educate business and property owners as well as consumers. 

  • Valid NC state driver’s license.

  • Bachelor of Science degree in soil science, agronomy or a related curriculum with 30 hours of science and satisfactory completion of the North Carolina Centralized Intern Training (CIT) program with two years’ experience in soil science and working at the environmental health specialist level, a primary authorization in on-site water protection and at least one other authorization in a program area designated by the Environmental Health Supervisor. 

  • Registered Environmental Health Specialist with state certification.  Fifteen hours of continuing education per year required to maintain certification and practice as a registered environmental health specialist.

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is $46,325 to $58,224. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.

  • The Western Piedmont Council of Governments will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4%, for a possible total of 8.2%, to either the NC 401k or the NC 457.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee's health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the HSA are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:

    • Life Insurance - $100,000 o Accidental Death & Dismemberment

    • Dental Insurance - Employee and Family

    • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)

    • Long-Term Disability

  • WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:

    • NC 457 Plan

    • NC 401(k) Plan

    • Voluntary additional life insurance

  • WPCOG provides for the following paid leave options:

    • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year

    • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale based on years of service

    • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year

    • Longevity Pay

 

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Position is open until filled.

 

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Environmental Health Specialist Intern

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

The Environmental Health Specialist Intern under close administrative and technical supervision, will receive a maximum of 24 months of extensive structured training in techniques and procedures for conducting environmental health inspections, investigations, and enforcement,
as well as application of these techniques and procedures in the field, in compliance with Federal, State, and City public health laws, and with policies and procedures governing environmental health programs.

 

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • A Bachelor’s Degree from and accredited college, university in Health, Science or related field, or educational institution approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Health or an educational institution of collegiate grade approved by the American Council on Education AND Must possess a valid “Letter of Eligibility” from the North Carolina Department of Public Health, which affirms the applicant’s eligibility to work as an Environmental Health Specialist Intern.

  • A valid North Carolina State Driver’s License is required. Interns must obtain a valid registration as an Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) within 36 months of hire as a condition of continued employment. Environmental Health Specialist Interns are eligible to promote to the classification of Environmental Health Specialist after successfully completing the training program, acquiring the certification as an REHS from the North Carolina Department of Public Health, and receiving above satisfactory performance evaluations.

 

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is 40,018 – $44,019 depending on qualifications and experience. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.

  • The Western Piedmont Council of Governments will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4%, for a possible total of 8.2%, to either the NC 401k or the NC 457.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee's health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the HSA are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:

    • Life Insurance - $100,000 o Accidental Death & Dismemberment

    • Dental Insurance - Employee and Family

    • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)

    • Long-Term Disability

  • WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:

    • NC 457 Plan

    • NC 401(k) Plan

    • Voluntary additional life insurance

  • WPCOG provides for the following paid leave options:

    • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year

    • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale based on years of service

    • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year

    • Longevity Pay

 

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Position is open until filled.

 

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Environmental Health Administrative Assistant

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

The Administrative Assistant will provide a variety of administrative services to the Environmental Health Division of the Community and Regional Planning Department at WPCOG. Specifically, administrative support for the following programs and the staff associated with these programs: On-Site Water Protection (includes On-Site Wastewater and Wells) and Food, Lodging, & Institutions (which includes swimming pools, tattoos, child care facilities and other establishments mandated to have a sanitary inspection). Responsibilities include answering calls and greeting and directing visitors as well as returning messages; preparing moderately complex administrative work and data entry; producing word and other Microsoft Office documents, correspondence and reports; works to prepare routine mail as well as large mailings for the postal system; maintains and processes various files and files department records as appropriate; conducts simple inventories and assists with ordering division supplies; and performs work associated with agendas and meeting logistics for various meetings/conferences and events.  

 

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.

  • At least two years of administrative experience required.

  • Graduation from a standard high school preferable with an associate’s degree or higher in business or related course preferred.

  • Must have strong computer and interpersonal skills as well as knowledge of modern office practices and equipment.

  • A working knowledge of office equipment, computers and current software with a minimum of two years’ related experience.

  • An equivalent amount of education and experience may be considered. 

 

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is $32,923-$35,000 depending on qualifications and experience. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.

  • The Western Piedmont Council of Governments will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4%, for a possible total of 8.2%, to either the NC 401k or the NC 457.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee's health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the HSA are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.

  • WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:

    • Life Insurance - $100,000 o Accidental Death & Dismemberment

    • Dental Insurance - Employee and Family

    • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)

    • Long-Term Disability

  • WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:

    • NC 457 Plan

    • NC 401(k) Plan

    • Voluntary additional life insurance

  • WPCOG provides for the following paid leave options:

    • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year

    • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale based on years of service

    • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year

    • Longevity Pay

 

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Position is open until filled.

 

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Western Piedmont Council of Governments shall serve all local government members in Alexander, Burke, Caldwell and Catawba Counties with professional, cost-effective assistance on a variety of local, regional, state and federal issues and programs.

Share your thoughts!

Telephone: ​828.322.9191

Fax: 828.322.5991

Email: jason.toney@wpcog.org
Mailing: P.O. Box 9026 | Hickory, NC 28603
Location: 1880 2nd Avenue NW
Hickory, NC 28601

Get social with us!
  • Facebook Clean Grey
  • Twitter Clean Grey
  • LinkedIn Clean Grey
  • YouTube - Grey Circle

This institution does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.