top of page
Grow Your Own Biz

Grow Your Own Biz - Licenses & Permits

To legally operate a business in the State of North Carolina, the business owner must secure a proper business license. Most cities and towns require a business license if you are located within the city limits. In addition, your location, including a home business, must meet city, town or county zoning  and building requirements.


Contact your city or town for information about their requirements:

Alexander County

Alexander County
Rick French, County Manager
621 Liledoun Road | Taylorsville, NC 28681
Ph: 828.632.9332
Fax: 828.632.0059

David Odom, Manager
67 Main Avenue Dr SE | Taylorsville, NC 28681
Ph: 828.632.2218
Fax: 828.632.7964


Burke County

Burke County
Ronald B. Lewis, County Manager
200 Avery Avenue | Morganton, NC 28655
Ph: 828-439-4340
Fax: 828-438-2782

Matt Settlemyer, Town Manager
P. O. Box 188 | Drexel, NC 28619
Ph: 828-437-7421
Fax: 828-437-4661

Ella Caudle, Town Clerk
P. O. Box 87 | Hildebran, NC 28637
Ph: 828-397-5801
Fax: 828-397-7180

Rutherford College
Jessica Bargsley, Town Clerk
P. O. Box 406 | Rutherford College, NC 28671
Ph: 828-874-0333 Ext. 206
Fax: 828-874-0022

Connelly Springs
Jeanine Barus, Town Clerk
P. O. Box 99 | Connelly Springs, NC 28612
Ph: 828-879-2321
Fax: 828-879-2325

Glen Alpine
Donna Ross, Town Clerk
PO Box 898 | Glen Alpine, NC 28628
Ph: 828-584-2622
Fax: 828-584-2113

Sally Sandy, City Manager
PO Box 3448 | Morganton, NC 28680
Ph: 828-437-8863
Fax: 828-432-2669

Seth Eckerd, Town Manager
P. O. Box 339 | Valdese, NC 28690
Ph: 828.879.2120
Fax: 828.879.2139


Resource Links & Information


Caldwell County

Caldwell County
Stan Kiser, County Manager
905 West Avenue NW | Lenoir, NC 28645
Ph: 828.757.1300
Fax: 828.757.1295

Cedar Rock
Amanda Triplett, Village Clerk
P.O. Box 1166 | Lenoir, NC 28645
Ph: 828.757.4545
Fax: 828.757.9662

Granite Falls
Paula M. Kirby, Town Clerk
P.O. Drawer 10 | Granite Falls, NC 28630
Ph: 828.396.3131
Fax: 828.396.3133

Shirley M. Cannon, City Clerk
P.O. Box 958 | Lenoir, NC 28645
Ph: 828.757.2200
Fax: 828.757.2462

Susan Nagle, Town Clerk
4076 US Hwy 321-A | Granite Falls, NC 28630
Ph: 828.396.7903
Fax: 828.396.8955

Cajah’s Mountain
Connie Smith, Town Clerk
1800 Connelly Springs Road | Lenoir, NC 28645
Ph: 828.728.5053
Fax: 828.728.4166


Mary Carter, Town Clerk
2750 Old Morganton Road | Lenoir, NC 28645
Ph: 828.754.1991
Fax: 828.754.1991

Tamara T. Swanson, Town Clerk
P.O. Box 457 | Hudson, NC 28638
Ph: 828.728.8272
Fax: 828.728.2680

Barbara Ann Harmon, Clerk
P.O. Box 40 | Rhodhiss, NC 28690
Ph: 828.396.8400
Fax: 828.396.5365


Catawba County

Catawba County
Barbara E. Morris, County Clerk
P.O. Box 389 | Newton, NC 28658
Ph: 828.465.8200
Fax: 828.465.8392

Town of Catawba
Kathy Johnson, Town Clerk
P.O. Box 70 | Catawba, NC 28609
Ph: 828.241.2215
Fax: 828.241.9968

Cara C. Reed, Planning Director
101 1st Street E | Conover, NC 28613
Ph: 828.464.1191
Fax: 828.465.5177

Wendy C. Vanover, Town Clerk
113 West Main Street | Maiden, NC 28650
Ph: 828.428.5000
Fax: 828.429.5017

Marshall Eckard, Town Clerk
1700 South Center Street
Ph: 828.322.4903
Fax: 828.322.7898

Wendy Helms, Deputy Clerk
3288 E. Main St. | Claremont, NC 28610
Ph: 828.459.7009
Fax: 828.459.0596

Pam Tallent, Planning Director
P.O. Box 398 | Hickory, NC 28603
Ph: 828.323.7400
Fax: 828.323.7550

Todd Clark, City Manager

401 N. Main St. | Newton, NC 28658
Ph: 828.695.4300
Fax: 828.465.7405


State Requirments


Department of Commerce Small Business | 301 North Wilmington Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Anyone wishing to operate a business in North Carolina needs to contact this office to learn whether or not a license is required by the State for their business.
Ph: 800.228.8443


Corporations Division | PO Box 29622 Raleigh, NC 27626-0622
Ph: 919.807.2225


NC Department of Revenue
For information on State Income Tax regulations.
Ph: 828.327.7474


Sales and Use Tax Permit
Issued by the Dept. of Revenue. Required if manufacturing or selling (wholesale or retail: a tangible product. Enables a retailer to purchase tax-free
Ph: 919.733.4626


Career Centers
If you ill be hiring anyone in your business you should contact your local Career Center for assistance. They will inform you of what forms you need to file with their agency.

  • Alexander County Career Center- (828) 632.4631

  • Burke County Career Center – (828) 438.6161

  • NCWorks Career Planning & Placement Center – Caldwell County – (828) 757.5622

  • NCWorks Career Center – Catawba – (828) 466.5535


Alcohol Beverage Service
If you will be serving or selling alcoholic beverages in the course of doing business you must contact the Federal Bureau of ATF, Charlotte, NC
Ph: 704.716.1800


Worksman’s Compensation
Contact a local insurance agent.


Other Licensing Boards


Federal Requirments


Employer Identification Number
Required for partnerships, corporations, and limited liability companies; optional for sole proprietorships, which may use owner social security number.


Internal Revenue Service – 828.829.1040,,id=102767,00.html 


Employers are typically responsible for three types of federal collections:

  1. Income tax withheld from wages

  2. (FICA) Employer and Employee Social Security Taxes

  3. (FUTA) Federal Unemployment Tax

Occupational Safety & Health (OSHA)

OSHA requires that if your firm employs more than 10 people, you maintain a record of any job injuries on OSHA form 200, which must be available for inspection and retained for five years. For more information contact:


NC Department of Labor, OSHA | 4 W. Edenton | Raleigh, NC 27601 | Ph: 919.856.4770


US Department of Labor | 200 Constitution Avenue NW, Room S1212 | Washington, D.C.


Business Name


Register of Deeds
To register the name of your business, contact the county Register of Deeds (ROD) office.

  • Alexander County ROD – 828.632.3152

  • Burke County ROD – 828.438.5450

  • Caldwell County ROD – 828.757.1310

  • Catawba County ROD – 828.466.1573

Additional name protection, beyond protection in your local County with an assumed name certificate, can be obtained statewide or nationally.

Disclaimer: The information presented here is intended as a public service. Although efforts have been made to assure that the information is accurate and up-to-date, the user assumes all responsibility for the use of information provided. The sponsors of this web site expressly disclaim any liability for the information provided herein.

bottom of page